Friday, August 29, 2014

You've been planning this how long?

It has been 6 years since our last Disney cruise, but who's counting?  As the old adage goes: Time flies when you're having fun.

Since hubby has never been on a cruise, I thought it was time to introduce him to the world of cruising - specifically with Disney.  I felt this was the only rational next step in our relationship of 4 years.

DH has had a lot of firsts since he said 'I do' to me:
  • First trip to Disney/Florida
  • First trip to the oceans
  • First travel out of the USA (New Zealand and Australia)
  • First exchange student
  • Moving 2 hours away from home to start a new business!
And now. . . a first cruise!

The girls and I have cruised twice before, both times with Disney.

We sailed on a brief 4 day cruise with my parents on the Disney Wonder to the Bahamas in 2006.  Our last minute booking secured us with a category 7 navigator's verandah:

. . . and loved it!  DD2 was about 10 months old and DD1 was almost 4.

After that last minute cruise decision with my parents, we planned a big one - a Westbound Panama Canal Cruise in 2008 - 15 days onboard the Disney Magic.  That one we booked on opening day and it was fantastic!  Unfortunately, we could only afford an 11A inside cabin but at least we were on the ship!  I think my parents liked it too - probably because they had a category 5 verandah:

I realize I was probably remiss by not questioning DH too much before we got married on whether he could put up with my Disney & travel obsessions but I am happy to report that so far. . . he is ok with it.

Almost to the minute after we exchanged our vows on the beaches of Florida in 2012, I began doing what any good Disney freak does - troll the Disboards for my next Disney adventure.  By the time our wedding came around, we had already been to Disney World twice in our relationship, and have since, made another trip.  Cruising always had my heart, though.  I even considered getting married on a cruise.  When that consideration didn't pan out, I decided the next best thing was a future Disney cruise.

The Southern Caribbean itinerary had already caught my eye.  My imaginary wedding plans included a SC cruise with getting married at St. Kitts or St. Lucia.  I even went so far as to price out a honeymoon cruise with <gasp> another cruise line.  But my heart wasn't in it and I procrastinated. . .

Which was to my favor.  Because the Disboards let me know that DISNEY was going to the SC in 2014!
So again, I found myself on opening booking day (almost 2 years ago!!!), pricing out a SC cruise with Disney.  I was very considerate of DH and decided his first cruise had to be with a category 5C verandah.  I also realized that we probably will never be able to downgrade cabins in the future.  Since October harvest is big where we live (and limits us to only September dates), I decided to book the first of 4 - 7 day cruises that leaves on September 20th out of San Juan.

With that introduction, I will leave you with a photo of my most terrifying adventure to date: zip-lining in New Zealand.

No comments:

Post a Comment