Thursday, September 11, 2014

It's 5 O'clock somewhere. . . I'm on Island Time!

Booking a Disney cruise had me so excited that I began serious stalking on the Disboards.  Those are some hard-core Disney people over there, MY PEOPLE!

But then, I ran out of steam and realized my husband would never go for 24/7 of the MOUSE - even if he does love me - for the entire trip and got practical with some of the excursions.  I also realized hubby and my 2 girls aren't nerds like me and island tours about the history of each place would have them barricading themselves in the room each morning at 7 a.m.  Disney does frown on dragging kids by the hair off the ships, it doesn't fit in with the Magical atmosphere they want to create for their guests. . .

I've become somewhat of a rebel on booking excursions, this 3rd time around.  I prefer to shy away from Disney excursions because of the herd mentality that goes with it and I've had several dud Disney ones on previous cruises.  The best excursions I've experienced have been ones where we step off the ship and let the first native drag us to their van for a surprise tour.  But I couldn't do that this time because it's the trip of a lifetime (I say that every cruise).

So. . . we board the ship on Saturday, the 20th.  I chose a Port Arrival time of 11:30 (instead of 11).  But who am I kidding?  I thought maybe we could visit the old forts in OSJ before port but I KNOW I'm going to be too excited to do anything other than go directly to the port and salivate in front of the gates until they open for the masses.

Mandetory Safety drill is in the afternoon.  Sail-away party is 4:15-5 p.m., even though we won't actually leave port until 9:30 or so

Sunday, the 21st is our only sea day.  I have these visions of margaritas by the adult pool, massages, alone time with my husband to celebrate our 2 years of wedded bliss and chocolate covered chocolate (if that makes sense). . .  In reality, it will probably be like this:


Sunday is formal night in the dining room.  I also booked something called 'Exotic Rasual' for H and I.  I think it involves mud and steam.

Monday, the 22nd is Antigua: 7 a.m.-4:45 p.m.
I would seriously love to swim with the stingrays!  I even lived through the horror of the Crocodile Hunter's demise, as I was in Australia at the time and it didn't dampen my desire.  But, I was outvoted 3-1 and I was not ready to make waves on this because I have much bigger turtles to fry so good-bye stingrays for now:


It is killing my OCD that I have not made firm plans yet and we leave in a week.  I toyed with the idea of an island tour, because nothing really appeals to me after my stingray letdown.  Ultimately?  We probably will go to Coconut Beach Club and pay for a day pass.  This will allow us unlimited food and booze for the day, along with their amenities.  At least I can drown my sorrows in drinks on the beach.  It looks pretty but they don't have stingrays in their infinity pool:


I managed to book Palo dinner for hubby and I on this night.  So it's probably a good thing I won't have a stingray love bite on my body when dining in such fine settings.  This is our anniversary celebration dinner.  I can't wait to share it with him!

Tuesday, the 23rd is St. Lucia - 7:15 a.m. - 4:45 p.m. - - - Pirate night in the dining room
Ahh, my fantasy wedding island!  Well, one of them anyway.  I do wonder if it is legal to have 2 wedding ceremonies, I would have chosen St. Lucia and St. Kitts.  This was a difficult island to choose from.  Cruise critic was very helpful this time.  I discovered that the island roads are long and windy to get anywhere.  I have this unpredictable gut.  Sometimes I'm ok (like riding ALL the coasters in both Universal parks in a death-by-coaster day experience). . . and other times I puke (like a random airplane ride).  I don't wish to puke in a van on an excursion on a strange island.  I'm afraid I would miss the boat (literally) because they would make me clean it up.  And who wants to be forever known as THAT pukey tourist???  Seriously, I bet those Caribbean islands have a website like peopleofwalmart.com in which the locals submit tourist photos.  I guarantee I would be one of those shaming photos on the internet forever.

Not me, so I looked for water adventures.  I came across this tour company called Son of Man.  It had a brief mention on Cruise Critic.  So I looked at Trip Advisor.  They had a good review but not very many.  Their website: www.sonofmantours.com didn't have a lot but I'm going with my non-vomiting gut on this one and booked them.

We are doing a tour called SOUFRIERE BY SEA AND LAND to the other side of the island, which is where you want to go for the touristy stuff.  So instead of winding roads and vomiting in a ditch on the way, we are going to cruise in style on a boat to the other side.  If I happen to puke, the water will wash it all away.  We then will partake in the ritual of the gods by a mud bath and visiting a sulpher spring, volcano, waterfall and other nasal delights.  It's perfect!  And a creole lunch is part of the package.   On the way back, we get the booze too, how about some Island Punch???  Hopefully after we snorkel under the gorgeous Pitons. . .


The pirate party happens on deck that night.  And in the dining room.  We won't be dressing up for this but plenty of people do.

This post is getting too long.  Please stay tuned for a message from our sponsors. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment